This recipe right here is for the hungry man! Or you know, anyone who is craving a sandwich so big that you can’t even really get your mouth around it.
This sub is huggeee but it’s so worth the sloppy tomato face!
Don’t be discouraged by its size, it’s actually quite light & healthy.
There are very few ingredients and if you don’t want the large meatballs, go ahead & make them smaller….but no comparing to who’s got the biggest balls…ok?
- 4 Whole Wheat Sub Buns
- 1 pound Extra Lean Ground Beef
- 1/4 cup Rolled Oats
- 1 Egg White
- 1 cup crushed Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 tbsp Thyme
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Basil
- In a large bowl combine beef, oats, egg white, tomato paste, thyme, black pepper and basil.
- Roll the beef mixture into large meatballs and place in a large non stick cookie sheet; not allowing them to touch. Bake in oven on 400F for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix oregano, garlic and tomatoes in a small bowl.
- After the meatballs cook for 15 minutes, pull out of oven and pour tomato mixture evenly over each meatball. Place meatballs back in oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- While waiting for meatballs to finish, slice each baguette in half.
- Once meatballs are fully cooked, remove from oven and place 3 meatballs on each sub.
- Enjoy open faced or as a regular sub.
Sandwiches are one of my favorites to have for lunches & dinners, but I honestly don’t have them too often because I tend to lean towards higher protein foods…which lead me to this big meatball sub. Now that I’ve discovered an excellent way to enjoy one of my fave foods of all time (which is really anything carb loaded, ha!) while still having a big serving of protein.
Protein is important, so I always try to have it with every meal & snack.
Our bodies are nothing without protein, so guys & gals, eat up! Enjoy it open faced – such as I did, or top with the top portion of the bun & open wide babes because this one calls for tomato face ;)
What is your favorite sub/sandwich?
Do you like to eat them open faced or topped with a bun?
Check out another open face sandwich here.